Article will continue after advertisement

Aroldis Chapman probably just bolstered his reputation as one of baseball’s best closers with his performance this postseason, but the outrageous sum he’s now seeking in his next contract is likely to put him in new surroundings next season.

According to reports, the 29-year-old is looking for $100 million to pitch what amounts to 67 innings per year, which is the average number of innings he’s pitched in a season for his career. And he’s already piqued some interest, that of New York Yankees GM Brian Cashman, who confirmed this week that he reached out to Chapman’s agent.

“There are certainly some names out there that are pretty good,” Cashman told the New York Daily News. “It’s probably a thin starting pitching market, there are a number of different relievers in the market; certainly more relievers in this free agency than there are starters of quality. The trade route is obviously an area we’ll see what develops over time.”

RELATED: Former MLB first-round pick passes up offer to play at FSU to land at this school

The Yankees dealt four players to the Cincinnati Reds for Chapman last winter while he served a 30-game suspension for an alleged domestic violence incident. When summer rolled around and it appeared New York had already played itself out of the postseason, they traded him to Chicago on July 25 for Ada Warren and three other players.

Now the Yanks want their big-name closer back again.

“I just want to bring in more talent,” Cashman said. “And I’d like to have one of the best bullpens in the game.”

Module Voice Image
|