Pro Football Focus, a prime destination for player rankings of both college and pro football players, recently ranked the top ten sophomores in the country that will step foot on a college football field this fall. Four of them, unsurprisingly hail from the SEC with LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M and Georgia getting represented on the list. No. 1 was sophomore defensive back Derwin James of Florida State, who is considered one of the most athletic players in CFB already after a true breakout freshman season. FSU has another defensive player in the top ten in defensive end Josh Sweat.
1. Derwin James, S, Florida State
“James tops this list because he is already the best returning player at his position in all of college football,” PFF writes. James is incredibly well-rounded player as indicated by his grades from 2015. His +6.6 coverage grade ranks him No.5 among returning FBS safeties.”
Check out the remainder of the list below.
2. Myles Gaskin, RB, Washington
3. Arden Key, DE, Louisiana State
4. Jake Browning, QB, Washington
5. Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
6. Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
7. Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
8. Trenton Thompson, DT, Georgia
9. Josh Sweat, DE, Florida State
10. Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama