If 71% of Earth's surface is covered by water, then Kristen White's got the other 29%. The Alabama softball freshman outfielder is quickly making a name for herself, and it starts with her defensive prowess in center field.
White made one of the greatest catches in Crimson Tide history (move over, DeVonta Smith) at the TaxAct Clearwater Invitational in Alabama's 10-0 win over Indiana on Saturday. You just have to see it to really understand how great it was.
Kristen White's Home Run Robbery
omg omg omg omg#NCAASoftball #SCtop10 x ? @AlabamaSB pic.twitter.com/wntaV7EnPD
— NCAA Softball (@NCAASoftball) February 19, 2023
Sheeesh. I told you DeVonta Smith's catch wasn't safe. Somebody call coach Nick Saban and tell him he's got a wide receiver waiting on the softball team.
Seriously, though, the effort here from White is incredible. Zero disregard for her body as she slams into the fence to rob what would've been a home run. And then the reaction -- it doesn't get any better than that. It was only the second out of the inning, but look how her teammates run to her to celebrate with her. It's a moment White will never forget, just eight games into her career. And this came the game after she hit a walk-off single against No. 20 UCF.
Kristen White walks it off for Alabama in extra innings!#Team27 #RollTide pic.twitter.com/ZsT8rGWobU
— Alabama Softball (@AlabamaSB) February 18, 2023
So, just who is this budding star?
White was one of the most prolific base-stealers in the history of Alabama high school softball, playing at Central High School in Phenix City, Alabama. She swiped 252 bags during her prep career and was caught just 11 times, a number that would impress even MLB legend Rickey Henderson. She also holds school records for batting average (.493) and runs scored (285).
White isn't starting every game for Patrick Murphy's squad just yet, but the head coach will have no choice but to play her if she's making catches like this.
MORE: Alabama's New Star Freshman, Kenleigh Cahalan, Kicks Off Career in Epic Fashion
Enjoy all things sports?
Don't miss a story! Sign up for daily stories delivered to your inbox.