Krissy Anderson spent a decade as a Chiefs cheerleader. (Chiefscheer/Instagram)
Krissy Anderson spent a decade as a Chiefs cheerleader. (Chiefscheer/Instagram)

Ex-Chiefs Cheerleader Dies After Stillbirth, Multiple Surgeries

Former Kansas City Chiefs cheerleader Krystal "Krissy" Anderson died shortly after the stillbirth of her daughter, according to a GoFundMe page, via the New York Post.

The page was set up to honor Anderson and her daughter, Charlotte Willow Anderson. Krissy Anderson was 40.

Anderson was a Chiefs cheerleader for a decade and died after "she underwent three surgeries to fight sepsis, which led to organ failure," the Post reported.

Generally, professional sports teams keep their cheerleaders' identities anonymous, though the Chiefs cheerleading squad released a statement on social media.

"We are deeply saddened by the recent passing of CC alum Krystal," it read. "Krissy cheered with us for over 100 games from 2006-2011 and 2013-2016. During that time, she attended the Pro Bowl as the Chiefs representative in 2015, served as a captain of her team, cheered during the London game, and visited our troops around the world, including in Iraq, Kuwait, and throughout the United States. She was loved and adored by her teammates, fans, and strangers who were never strangers for long."

The Chiefs intend to honor Anderson in some fashion, likely during next season.

"We will miss her kind spirit, joyful energy, and her sparkle," the statement continued. "Our thoughts and prayers are with her family and loved ones. We will cherish every moment we had with her.

"At a later date, we will share how we will continue to honor her legacy."

Per the Post: "Anderson's husband said their daughter was born at rest after doctors couldn't find a heartbeat when she was 21 weeks pregnant."

"Krissy sought out hospitalization during her 21st week of pregnancy, and despite the trauma of losing her baby girl, Charlotte, during childbirth, she fought on," the GoFundMe page reads. "Her fight with sepsis, led to organ failure, and she was placed on life support. Krissy underwent three surgeries, but the source of infection remained elusive. In the early hours of March 20, surrounded by her devoted family, sweet Krissy passed away."