Former Michigan Wolverine and current Dallas Cowboy Jourdan Lewis was found not guilty of misdemeanor domestic violence charges Tuesday afternoon.
Mike Persak broke the news late Tuesday via his personal Twitter account that Lewis was found not guilty on both counts.
This is obviously good news for Jerry Jones’ team, along with Lewis, who would have been in hot water with the NFL had the jury gone the other way.
Since the verdict was passed, Lewis hasn’t said much but he reportedly told reporters he was “elated” following the verdict.
Background on the case against Jourdan Lewis
Former Michigan cornerback and NFL Draft hopeful Jourdan Lewis was charged with a misdemeanor count of domestic violence earlier this week. Now, we know a bit more about the situation.
Dan Murphy and Michael Rothstein of ESPN bring word that Lewis pleaded not guilty to the charge on Thursday and, after the fact, the former All-American elected not to comment further. However, the reporters caught up with Ann Arbor detective Matthew Lige and he indicated that the woman in question, reportedly Lewis’ girlfriend, claimed assault took place.
While there were reportedly no indications of injury, Lige said the following:
“There were no visible apparent signs of injury, but she is claiming that assault occurred. Assault can occur without apparent injury. It wasn’t clear if an assault had occurred, so officers released him at the scene.”
Lewis will reportedly be in court again on April 12 for a pretrial hearing and the case will move forward from there. In the meantime, indications are that he is free to travel (a notable sub-plot considering his status as an NFL Draft hopeful) but the bigger picture is that Lewis will face this charge in court.
With situations such as this one, it is important to indicate that Lewis is innocent until proven guilty but, in the same breath, this is a perilous situation that, if true, is quite troubling. Stay tuned.