Malik Nabers, Giants, NFL
Photo by Kathryn Riley/Getty Images

Troubling Update on Malik Nabers' Surgery Recovery

The New York Giants remain uncertain when star receiver Malik Nabers will return from a significant knee injury that required multiple surgeries, coach John Harbaugh said, via ESPN.

Videos by FanBuzz

Nabers tore the ACL in his right knee in September and later underwent reconstructive surgery that also included a full meniscus repair. More recently, he required a second procedure to remove scar tissue that had been causing stiffness.

The Giants had initially hoped Nabers might be ready by the start of training camp, but that timeline now appears uncertain as the team turns its attention toward a possible Week 1 return.

"It's such a hard thing. It's an ACL, and whatever else he had in that knee," Harbaugh said after organized team activities. "Not a simple knee injury."

Harbaugh added that predicting a return date remains difficult.

"Impossible to predict," he said. "The goal is to start the season and get out there sometime in training camp. That'd be the goal, and we'll see what happens."

The Giants open the regular season Sept. 13 against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday Night Football at MetLife Stadium.

Nabers has remained around the team facility during rehab but was not participating in Thursday's practice session. Harbaugh said the 22-year-old has handled the difficult recovery process well despite setbacks.

"I think it's probably the first time he's been hurt like this," Harbaugh said. "It's new for him. It's a tough process."

Before the injury, Nabers appeared to be emerging as one of the NFL's top young receivers. The former LSU standout caught a franchise-record 109 passes for 1,204 yards and seven touchdowns during his rookie season after being selected sixth overall in the 2024 NFL Draft.

The Giants are also without receiver Darius Slayton this spring following core muscle surgery, though the team expects him to be ready for training camp.