Photo credit: Getty Images

Kyle Busch's Family Releases Cause of Death

CONCORD, N.C. — The Busch family has provided a cause of death after Kyle Busch passed away at the age of 41.

Videos by FanBuzz

According to a statement provided to FanBuzz, "The medical evaluation provided to the Busch Family concluded that severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, resulting in rapid and overwhelming associated complications."

According to the Mayo Clinic, Sepsis occurs when the body responds improperly to an infection.

"The infection-fighting processes turn on the body, causing the organs to work poorly. Sepsis may progress to septic shock. This is a dramatic drop in blood pressure that can damage the lungs, kidneys, liver and other organs. When the damage is severe, it can lead to death."

According to a 911 call obtained by the media, Busch was experiencing shortness of breath on Wednesday while at the Chevrolet racing simulator at the General Motors Charlotte Technical Center in Concord, North Carolina.

The unidentified caller said that an individual had been coughing up blood and that this person believed he was going to pass out. The person experiencing the medical emergency also said they were extremely hot.

Busch had dealt with medical concerns earlier in the month. Most notably, he had requested medical attention after the Cup Series race at Watkins Glen International. He told his team to have the medical professional meet him after the race, and he said that he would need to receive a shot.

Busch did not provide further details about the issue over the radio at Watkins Glen. However, the Fox Sports broadcast team noted at the time that he had a sinus issue.

Busch met with media members days after the Watkins Glen race and said that the cough was "pretty substantial" and that he was still not great.

The two-time Cup Series champion was hospitalized in the week leading up to the Coca-Cola 600 as the family released a statement saying that he would miss the race weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

They then issued a joint statement with NASCAR and Richard Childress Racing, announcing that Busch had passed away.