Joey Chestnut is used to making headlines for hot dogs and eating contests. This time, though, it's for something entirely different.
Videos by FanBuzz
The competitive eating superstar — best known for dominating the annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest — has pleaded guilty to two counts of battery following an incident earlier this year in Indiana, per WTHR 13.
According to court documents, Chestnut was sentenced to 180 days of probation stemming from a March altercation at Joe's Grille in Westfield, Indiana.
Police said the situation unfolded around 1 a.m. on March 21 when a man approached Chestnut at the bar after recognizing him. According to investigators, the man attempted to shake Chestnut's hand before being slapped in the face.
Surveillance footage later reviewed by police reportedly showed Chestnut pulling the man closer during the handshake before striking him.
After the incident, court documents stated Chestnut told those involved that "everything is OK" and "nothing happened."
When police later spoke with him, Chestnut reportedly admitted he had been drinking heavily and didn't remember much of the night.
According to investigators, officers showed him video of the encounter, prompting Chestnut to respond: "That did not look nice."
The 41-year-old has become one of the most recognizable figures in sports entertainment over the past two decades, winning Nathan's famed hot dog contest 17 times and turning competitive eating into a mainstream spectacle.
And yes, the timing has already sparked questions about whether probation could impact this year's Fourth of July event.
At the moment, though, nothing indicates Chestnut will miss the competition. So barring any additional issues, "Jaws" still appears on track to chase title No. 18 this summer.
