Georgia. Michigan. TCU. Ohio State. Those are the four teams selected to play in the 2022-23 College Football Playoff. Although their spots in the playoff were already sealed, the Georgia Bulldogs and the Michigan Wolverines still took care of business Saturday, winning their conference championship games, entering the playoff as the number one and number two seeds, and entering with an unblemished 13-0 record. The TCU Horned Frogs on the other hand entered the Big 12 title game undefeated but were handed their first loss of the season in a three-point overtime loss. But thanks to an already impressive season, and probably the loss suffered by the USC Trojans, TCU still made the cut. However, the Horned Frogs were not the only team who benefited from USC's loss. The Ohio State Buckeyes were sitting at number five entering the weekend and needed that USC loss to grab the last spot.
Here are the NEW College Football Playoff Rankings.
Where the Committee Got It Right: The Order of the Top Four
When both the TCU Horned Frogs and the USC Trojans lost, everyone wondered who would get the three and four seed--TCU, Ohio State, or for some reason, Alabama. Alabama did not qualify and there was no reason they should as they were ranked sixth entering this weekend. With Ohio State at five and TCU losing at three, some thought TCU could drop to four, but they didn't. This sets up something similar with Ohio State and Michigan with what we have seen with Alabama and Georgia in the past where a rematch would be seen ONLY in the National Championship Game and not a semi-final. Hats off to the committee for getting this right.
Where the Committee Got It Right Again: Conference Champs
In addition to the Georgia Bulldogs and Michigan Wolverines, the following teams who won their conference title and had 10-plus wins were ranked in the final College Football Top 25 Rankings:
- No. 7 Clemson Tigers - ACC Champs
- No. 8 Utah Utes - Pac-12 Champs
- No. 9 Kansas State Wildcats - Big 12 Champs
- No. 16 Tulane Green Wave - AAC Champs
- No. 24 Troy Trojans - Sun Belt Champs
- No. 25 UTSA Roadrunners - CUSA Champs
Conferences With the Most Teams in the Top 25
- Tied-1st: Pac-12 - 6 Teams
- Tied-1st: SEC - 6 Teams
- Tied 2nd: ACC - 3 Teams
- Tied 2nd: Big Ten - 3 Teams
- Tied 2nd: Big 12- 3 Teams
- Tied 3rd: AAC - 1 Teams
- Tied 3rd: Independents - 1 Team
- Tied 3rd: Sun Belt - 1 Team
- Tied 3rd: CUSA - 1 Team
New Year's Six Bowl Games
- CFP Semi-Final at the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl - No. 4 Ohio State Buckeyes vs No. 1 Georgia Bulldogs
- CFP Semi-Final at the VRBO Fiesta Bowl - No. 3 TCU Horned Frogs vs No. 2 Michigan Wolverines
- Allstate Sugar Bowl - No. 5 Alabama Crimson Tide vs No. 9 Kansas State Wildcats
- Capital one Orange Bowl - No. 6 Tennessee Volunteers vs No. 7 Clemson Tigers
- Rose Bowl Game - No. 11 Penn State Nittany Lions vs No. 8 Utah Utes
- Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic - No. 16 Tulane Green Wave vs No. 10 USC Trojans
Enjoy all things sports?
Don't miss a story! Sign up for daily stories delivered to your inbox.