At around 4 o’clock on the East Coast, Louisiana State University’s Twitter account posted that the LSU Police Department responded to an armed intruder inside Coates Hall on campus.
The situation is still ongoing and LSU informed the public that the situation is not over as of 5 p.m. LSU tweeted a link to the government’s website for what to do in active shooter situations.
We will update this story as more information becomes available.
UPDATE: After some a tense afternoon, LSU police gave the “all clear” and students were able to exit nearby buildings. LSU did say that police are “still investigating the ongoing situation” and the area should remain avoided during this time.
Active Shooter Information, via Ready.gov
RUN and escape, if possible.
- Getting away from the shooter or shooters is the top priority.
- Leave your belongings behind and get away.
- Help others escape, if possible, but evacuate regardless of whether others agree to follow.
- Warn and prevent individuals from entering an area where the active shooter may be.
- Call 911 when you are safe, and describe shooter, location, and weapons.
HIDE, if escape is not possible.
- Get out of the shooter’s view and stay very quiet.
- Silence all electronic devices and make sure they won’t vibrate.
- Lock and block doors, close blinds, and turn off lights.
- Don’t hide in groups- spread out along walls or hide separately to make it more difficult for the shooter.
- Try to communicate with police silently. Use text message or social media to tag your location, or put a sign in a window.
- Stay in place until law enforcement gives you the all clear.
- Your hiding place should be out of the shooter’s view and provide protection if shots are fired in your direction.
FIGHT as an absolute last resort.
- Commit to your actions and act as aggressively as possible against the shooter.
- Recruit others to ambush the shooter with makeshift weapons like chairs, fire extinguishers, scissors, books, etc.
- Be prepared to cause severe or lethal injury to the shooter.
- Throw items and improvise weapons to distract and disarm the shooter.