When the Miami Heat boarded their team plane last week, a medical emergency on the charter flight was likely the last thing on anyone?s mind. They had just beat the Phoenix Suns on the road and were getting ready for another game against the Los Angeles Lakers the next night. Then, something went horribly wrong.
Heat guard Dion Waiters, who did not play against the Suns on Thursday night because of a stomach ache, experienced a ?panic attack? on the flight after consuming a THC-infused edible, according to ESPN?s Brian Windhorst and Adrian Wojnarowski.
Radio host Andy Slater reported that Waiters ?overdosed on ?gummies? and was passed out when the plane landed.? He also had a seizure when he woke up.
This was obviously a very scary situation and definitely not a laughing matter. Overdosing is serious, and everyone is certainly glad that it wasn?t worse for Waiters, who also did not play in Friday night?s game against the Lakers.
However, after learning all of the details on the incident on the team flight, the 27-year-old Heat player was suspended for 10 games.
“We are very disappointed in Dion’s actions this season that include the very scary situation on Thursday night, and grateful that the outcome wasn’t worse.
“There have been a number of instances this season in which Dion has engaged in conduct detrimental to the team. … We are proud of how our players have started the season. We expect all of our players, including Dion, to conduct themselves in accordance with the highest standards, and to show professionalism and respect for their teammates, the team, the fans and the NBA community.?Advertisement
? Miami Heat statement, via ESPNAdvertisement
Miami Heat guard Dion Waiters, the No. 4-overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft out of Syracuse, was also suspended for the team?s season opener last month.
This isn?t something you see every day, and it?s definitely a distraction head coach Erik Spoelstra didn?t want while the team was away from South Florida, but let?s hope the Miami Heat player learned a valuable lesson from the scary incident.