The NFL wouldn't be the NFL without gambling. These days you can bet on just about anything when two teams take the gridiron, like throwing down money on whether Buffalo Bills fans will toss sex toys on the field in the regular season.
Super Bowl Sunday, of course, is the biggest day for sports betting in America. Billions of dollars are wagered each year during the big game to conclude the playoffs, and obsessive fans like this man who faked his own kidnapping to avoid paying a massive Super Bowl bet are why that number is so high.
This year's matchup between the AFC's Kansas City Chiefs and NFC's San Francisco 49ers is shaping up to be the largest wagering volume ever. The American Gaming Association reported 26 million Americans will wager a record $7 billion on Sunday's NFL Championship game. That's three million more U.S. bettors partaking than last year's Patriots-Rams clash.
The best way to watch the game is by throwing down money on Super Bowl prop bets. These proposition bets range from calling the coin toss to how long the national anthem will last to even the number of commercials that feature a dog. Yes, oddsmakers have a weird job.
The NFL wants to get rid of prop betting for the big game, but they're here to stay. At least for now. Miami's Super Bowl LIV will feature a host of odd prop bets, including what color microphone Demi Lovato will sing into during the national anthem and whether Shakira and Jennifer Lopez will sing in Spanish during the halftime show.
Super Bowl Prop Bets 2020
Different sportsbooks have different bets available. BookMaker.eu has examples of some of the wilder ones you can wager on, while Bovada has more standard bets like Super Bowl MVP odds, Gatorade shower color for the winning coach and special teams bets like total punts and field goals kicked.
Whether you're a seasoned veteran in Las Vegas or a broke college kid new to gambling terms like moneyline, point spread and total points, here are some of the best of this year's prop bets:
National Anthem Prop Bets
- What color will Demi Lovato's microphone be?
- Will Demi Lovato omit a word from the National Anthem?
- How long will it take Demi Lovato to sing the National Anthem?
Halftime Show Prop Bets
- Will Shakira and J-Lo both sing in Spanish?
- Will Ricky Martin make an appearance on stage?
- Will Pitbull appear on stage?
- Will Alex Rodriguez be shown during the Halftime show?
Super Bowl Commercial Prop Bets
- How many commercials will air during the Super Bowl?
- Will MC Hammer say "Hammer Time" in the Cheetos Commercial?
- Will the phrase "What will you be drinking?" be mentioned in the Mountain Dew ad?
- Will Betty White be in the Snickers Commercial?
- Will the Mountain Dew commercial say "Here's Johnny?"
- Which Anheuser-Busch brand's commercial will air first?
- Which auto brand commercial will air first?
Random Prop Bets
- Will any player be arrested in Miami after the game?
- Will a fan run onto the field during the game?
- Will Floyd Mayweather wager over/under $1 Million on the game?
- Will Drake pick or promote a team on Instagram (Drake Curse)?
Broadcast Prop Bets
- Which coach will be mentioned first on TV after kickoff?
- Who will the MVP mention first after getting the award?
- Will Drake be shown during the broadcast?
- Will Jay-Z be shown during the broadcast?
- Will Roger Goodell be shown during the broadcast?
- Will Colin Kaepernick be mentioned?
- Will they show a clip of the Chiefs in Super Bowl IV?
- Will they show the Golden Gate Bridge?
- Total times Mike Shanahan is shown during the game?
- Will Joe Buck or Troy Aikman say "Favorite" in reference to the odds?
- Will Joe Buck or Troy Aikman say "Underdog" in reference to the odds?
- Will a Dan Marino highlight be shown?
- Will Tom Brady be mentioned?
In-Game Prop Bets
- Will any player other than the QB take a direct snap?
- Who Will Score The First Touchdown?
- Who Will Throw The First Touchdown Pass In The Game?
Donald Trump Prop Bets
- Will Donald Trump Attend The Game?
- Will The Winning Team Visit The White House?
Odds To Win Super Bowl MVP:
Patrick Mahomes (KC) +115
Jimmy Garoppolo (SF) +275
Raheem Mostert (SF) +550
George Kittle (SF) +1000
Travis Kelce (KC) +1500
Tyreek Hill (KC) +1500
Nick Bosa (SF) +1800
Damien Williams (KC) +2200
Deebo Samuel (SF) +2500
Richard Sherman (SF) +4000
Emmanuel Sanders (SF) +4500
Sammy Watkins (KC) +5500
Mecole Hardman (KC) +6000
Tevin Coleman (SF) +7000
Tyrann Mathieu (KC) +7000
Matt Breida (SF) +7500
Dee Ford (SF) +10000
Frank Clark (KC) +10000
Harrison Butker (KC) +10000
Robbie Gould (SF) +10000
Arik Armstead (SF) +12500
Chris Jones (KC) +12500
Daniel Sorensen (KC) +12500
DeForest Buckner (SF) +15000
Fred Warner (SF) +15000
Demarcus Robinson (KC) +17500
Kwon Alexander (SF) +17500
Anthony Hitchens (KC) +25000
Jaquiski Tartt (SF) +25000
Kendrick Bourne (SF) +25000
Kyle Juszczyk (SF) +25000
Reggie Ragland (KC) +25000
Bashaud Breeland (KC) +30000
Darwin Thompson (KC) +30000
Emmanuel Moseley (SF) +30000
Jimmie Ward (SF) +30000
Terrell Suggs (KC) +30000
Charvarius Ward (KC) +35000
Damien Wilson (KC) +35000
Dre Greenlaw (SF) +35000
Blake Bell (KC) +45000
Byron Pringle (KC) +55000
Dante Pettis (SF) +55000
Deon Yelder (KC) +55000
Jordan Matthews (SF) +55000
Levine Toilolo (SF) +55000
Ross Dwelley (SF) +55000
Sheldon Day (SF) +55000
Enjoy all things sports?
Don't miss a story! Sign up for daily stories delivered to your inbox.